Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Medication Guessing Game

Did you know 1 in 5 people who have bipolar disorder also have ADHD...well apparantly I am one of those 1 in 5. I was taken off my anti depressants two weeks ago and put on Metadate for ADHD. My psychiatrist explained that the medication would work immediately if I truly had ADHD. The medication did, in fact, work right away...I felt so much better, like myself again, the fog had lifted. Unfortunately it only seemed to be in working order for about a week. By week two I was starting to slowly feel foggy again. My mood seemed to start bouncing from sad to irritable, I started feeling less energetic, nothing sounded "good" to me anymore. By the end of the second week I felt like giving up...all my old symptoms were back and heading to full throttle mode.
I saw my psychiatrist yesterday afternoon and he doubled my dosage of metadate and increased my Saphris (mood stabilizer). He told me I could take a double dose in the morning or split it up in the daytime. Crazy me decided to take the double dose this morning! I feel like a zombie...I don't know how else to describe this weirdness. I feel like staring off into space or maybe just going to bed...AHHH! It is so frustrating.
I am trying to stay positive, but my mind is definitely not functioning well today, hopefully tomorrow the medication will work if I split it up. Why are medications such a playground? Take one, try one, increase, decrease, side-effects, good mood, bad mood, sad, irritable, happy, excited, discouraged, encouraged...it all just seems like a big guessing game to me. I think I would be frustrated if my brain was even working properly today...but it's not...
#bipolar, #ADHD, #frustration, #medications, #crazy

No comments:

Post a Comment