Thursday, January 29, 2015

Helping Others

Today I received a phone call from our local newspaper. They heard that I was starting a support group for bipolar and depression in my county. They wanted to ask me a few questions about it so they could do an article for the paper. I was extremely excited and honored!
I explained to them that my reason behind the support group was so that individuals could share their experiences and feelings with the two disorders and offer support to others going through the same thing. I think it is so important for people to share their struggles and stories because it encourages others and helps them to know they are not alone.
I think feeling alone is one of the biggest problems with both disorders, any mental illness really. The feelings can be so overwhelming. How do we handle the feelings of aloneness? I know, for myself, there is nothing worse than thinking you are the only one in the world that is suffering, no one cares, you are not worthy of love and you tell yourself that is why you are alone. Our brains tell us lies and we believe them.
One of the things that has helped me to not feel alone is by sharing my story and reaching out to others. By reaching out to others I am not only helping them, but I am helping myself. Using Twitter and Facebook is one way to reach out to others, lend your support, and gain support. Sometimes it is so much easier to use social media because those people do not really know us, we can remain anonymous and share our deepest feelings without the worry of being judged. It has truly helped me in a way I never thought about before.
So my encouragement today is to reach out and help someone, you will be surprised at how much it will help you in return!

No comments:

Post a Comment